How To Open A Business In Downtown Natchez

Step 6. Procure & File required licenses, permits and taxes

Depending on the nature of your business, one or more local or state licenses and permits might be required. While it is the responsibility of every new business to research their own particular needs, on this page is a summary of some of the more typical required licenses, permits and taxes:

Local Licenses & Permits

The primary local license or permit is the City’s required Privilege License, which is referred to as a “business license” in some places.

Natchez Privilege License

The City’s Privilege License Application is a two-page form that seeks the following types of information from the applicant:

  • Owner’s name and basic information
  • Business location
  • Business type (retail, services, etc.)
  • State sales tax information
  • Number of employees
  • Applicability of various fees

The second page contains a series of tables that determine the amount of the fees based upon the assessed inventory values, business type, number of employees, and similar factors. To access the application, go to:

For questions, the City Clerk can be contacted as follows:

Megan McKenzie, City Clerk

Denise Bell, Deputy Clerk

Business License Phone: (601) 445-7518
City Hall: 124 S. Pearl Street, Natchez, MS 39120


State Licenses, Permits and Taxes

State licenses are generally only required for professional licenses, such as contractors, real estate agents, and medical professionals. Thus, they do not apply to most Downtown Natchez businesses. However, State taxes do apply to most businesses.

Taxpayer Access Point (TAP)

TAP is a service of the Mississippi Department of Revenue (DOR) that provides users with online access to their tax account to view letters and notices sent from the DOR, and to communicate with the DOR. They can also file their tax returns, make payments and perform similar actions. To contact the DOR, go to:

Adams County is served primarily by the Jackson District Office, which is located in Clinton, MS. It also is the office to contact for New Tax Accounts Statewide.

Physical Address:
500 Clinton Center Drive Clinton, MS 39056

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1033 Jackson, MS 39215-1033

Phone: (601) 923-7700
Fax: (601) 923-7714

MS Secretary of State
Business Services & Regulation

The Secretary of State’s (SOS) Office is where small businesses can file articles of incorporation (such as LLCs, Corporations, Non-Profits, or Partnerships,) and file annual reports. You can also reserve business names ahead of filing, for a fee, if you need additional time to before you commit.

For a complete price list of filing fees, go to:

Physical Address:
125 S.Congress Street, Jackson, MS 39201

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 136 Jackson, MS 39215-0136

Phone: (601) 359-1633
Fax: (601) 576-2546